There’s always a story behind everything that I do. Sometimes, it’s funny. Other times it’s sad and this time, it was ordinary. I had written a review on The Habtoor Grand Resort and Spa beach club very recently. If you missed it, you can read it here.
As I was leaving the beach club that day, I was handed a voucher for a 20% discount for a massage treatment at the hotel’s spa: Elixir Spa.
So, I naturally booked a massage appointment to make use of the promotion before it expired and before Ramadan started.
When I called to book my appointment, I was informed that I can get a 60 or 90 minute massage treatment. I went for the one-hour option. I inquired about the prices before and after the discount. The 60 minute Elixir Therapeutic Massage’s regular rate is 450 AED. After the summer promotion discount, I paid 360 AED. I asked about the type of massage and I was told that it’s a Swedish full body massage.
Here’s a list of the spa services included in the summer promotion (valid until July 31, 2013):
- I was asked to pay for my massage before the treatment. I don’t think that it’s a welcoming or nice gesture to ask the client to pay for the service prior to getting it. Especially in a spa environment.
- I wasn’t informed at the time of booking the treatment that use of the steam and sauna rooms is included in my treatment. I only found out about this from my therapist right before the massage. I wasn’t able to make use of the full treatment offer since I had already made plans to have lunch with my dad and so I couldn’t just stay and use the other facilities available with my treatment. The staff at the reception didn’t inform me of this neither at the time of booking nor at the time of the appointment.
I found the massage to be up to professional standards. I had asked the therapist for a hard pressure massage with a focus on my shoulders and upper back. The therapist did a great job with a consistent pressure throughout the whole treatment. Overall, the massage was very relaxing and soothing and I almost fell asleep by the end of it 🙂
Oils Used and a Balinese Tradition
The Moroccan oil used in the treatment was a combination of both Argan and Jasmine oils.
Benefits of Argan oil:
- Helps relieve muscle tension.
- Promotes hair growth. It can be used in scalp massage as well.
- Highly effective in moisturizing dry skin and hair.
Benefits of Jasmine oil:
Jasmine can significantly aid in the rejuvenation of the skin and in making women look younger. My Balinese therapist explained to me how Indonesian ladies eat fresh Jasmine petals in search of a youthful complexion. She also told me about a famous Indonesian movie actress who at 95 years of age looked as though she was only 40, simply because she followed a regular “Jasmine Petal” diet 🙂
My therapist hadn’t tried it though. I think we can safely stick to the jasmine oil for now 🙂
My Massage Therapist
Luh Sri is the only Balinese therapist at Elixir Spa. With over seven years of experience in various spa treatments at world-class properties; including a couple of years at the Hyatt hotel in Bali, she has the professionalism of a five-star hotel spa therapist. Not to mention the knowledge, friendliness, and positive spirit that are essential traits of any beauty therapist.
Will I make another visit?
I would love to go back to have another full body massage with Luh. Maybe next time I can try the hot stone massage, or another type of massage or treatment. In case I decide to make another visit, I will make sure to check the offers before booking and to make use of the locker room facilities such as the sauna and steam room should they be included in the treatment package.
The staff at the reception need to be informed of all the promotional offers (and their perks). And they must be trained to convey complete information to the clients.Whether these guests are visiting from outside the hotel or are staying at the resort.
I believe that the spa management can do more to attract outside clients as well as in-house hotel guests. At least that was the message that I got from the way the promotion and my booking were handled.